Sunday, November 30, 2008

Generating content for a blog?

My Diet and Sugar blog looks like it has potential. So I'm going to have to look into this deeper.

My first goal is to try to attract some traffic. There are a lot of ways to attract traffic. My preference is simply content. That can be hard to do, but I think that is what pays off in the long run. Content that lasts can be a nice annuity.

My background is in operations research and I have a successful blog that combines an interest in that field and an interest in poker called Math and Poker. Operations research is an applied math field that's about things like optimization theory.

One thing I sometimes try to do is blog on subjects that have overlap potential. An old problem in operations research is called The Diet Problem. That's a mathematical formulation of a minimum cost diet that provides needed nutrients.

I decided to start working on The Diet Problem for the special case of diabetics with hypertension and kidney problems -- which is my current health situation. Boom, I all of a sudden got really prolific on blog posts for Diet and Sugar. It seems to pay off to stumble on a topic that I have both an expertise in and a special personal interest in.

Working on revenue improvement for Diet and Sugar has a twofold benefit. It has the direct effect of improving the revenue stream from that blog. But it also has the potentially beneficial effect of providing material for this blog. This blog gets almost no traffic and hasn't made me a nickel in the last few months. Maybe actually posting some content will help here too. You never can tell.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home